top of page


Music is an integral part of group fitness and can add to the already great experience provided by your studio location. Part of using music in group fitness classes is ensuring that you are compliant with copyright law through the securing of public performance licenses. This is necessary so that music copyright owners can be appropriately paid for their work.

Please note that the information provided is intended to be informational only and is not intended to serve as legal advice. For legal advise please consult an attorney or the Performing Rights Organizations directly.

How Rock My Fitness Studio Can Help

Rock My Fitness Studio is a commercial and business music licensed service. Gyms and fitness studios also need to obtain Fitness Licenses to publically perform music in order to be compliant with copyright law. Please note, a Fitness License is a requirement from the licensing agencies, not from Rock My Fitness Studio. Rock My Fitness Studio can help you navigate and obtain a Fitness License from all 4 PROs.

Why FOUR Licenses Are Necessary

SESAC, ASCAP, GMR, and BMI all represent different artists. To ensure that you can play any artist regardless of who they are signed with, it is highly recommended to secure all four licenses so your business is fully compliant.

How to Secure These Licenses

To obtain proper music PERFORMANCE licensing for your studio(s) you will need to complete appropriate forms with ASCAP,  BMI, GMR, and SESAC. ASCAP, GMR, and SESAC have the entire process online. For BMI,  you must complete a paper form and FAX it (or upload it).

Frequently Asked Questions

bottom of page